Norton House (also known as Burnt Norton)3883

Evesham, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

The grounds at Norton House have an early-20th-century layout which incorporates 18th-century elements. The site is used for occasional public concerts, but is not open to the public in the general sense.

History

The estate came into the hands of William Keyte in 1716, at which time the house and gardens were established. The gardens included a large parterre, terraces down the hillside and walks in plantations. The current layout for the gardens dates from the early-20th century. A new entrance court was established in about 1901, along with a fountain, terraces, orchard and woodland walks.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was built in 1716 and seriously damaged by fire in 1741. The building was repaired after 1753.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fountain
  • Description: Circular fountain.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Terrace
  • Description: Grass terraces.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Description: Ornamental woodland walks.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Wilderness
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Ornament
  • Description: There are 10 stone piers around the courtyard at the front.
  • Temple
  • Description: There is a temple in the grounds with an 18th-century facade. The other walls and the roof date from the 19th century.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Weston Subedge
History

Detailed History

In 1716 the house came into the hands of the Keyte family. Sir William Keyte built a large house on an adjacent site. A garden was laid out at the same time. It had a large parterre, terraces down the hillside and walks in plantations. The total expenditure on the house and gardens was reputedly £10,000.

In 1901-2 the house underwent extensive alterations and re-modelling by Sir Guy Dawber for the Earl of Harrowby. Sir Guy re-laid out the gardens, incorporating a new entrance court, circular fountain, grass terraces and orchard. New ornamental woodland walks were created through the existing wilderness and woodland on the site.

The gardens provided the inspiration for T.S. Eliot's 'Burnt Norton', one of the Four Quartets.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Norton House

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References