Campden Manor (also known as Old Campden House)6083

Chipping Campden, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

At Campden Manor the earthwork remains of raised walkways of an early 17th-century garden survive. These run between two restored 17th-century banqueting houses which are let out as holiday properties by the Landmark Trust. There are several other buildings and walls remaining from the same period although the Manor itself survives as a ruin.

History

Sir Anthony Hicks bought the manor of Campden from Anthony Smith in about 1609. Old Campden Manor was built by him in about 1613 and then burnt down by Royalists in the Civil War. Elaborate gardens were developed when the house was built, including terraces, mounds and water features. There is some evidence that the gardens were remodelled and enlarged after Sir Baptist's death in 1629. The new layout is thought to have been less formal, but still unusually advanced.

Features
  • Banqueting House
  • Description: Two restored banqueting houses, now let as holiday cottages by the Landmark Trust.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: Lodges, gates and archway to Campden Manor
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate
  • Description: Inner gateway to Old Campden House
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable
  • Description: Former stable attached to Campden Manor.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: Lady Juliana's gateway and bridge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was burnt down during the Civil War around 1645 and remains a ruin.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Chipping Campden
History

Detailed History

All the surviving buildings (lodges, banqueting houses and almonry) and walls on site date back to the early-17th century. The stables were converted after the Restoration in the later 17th century into a house now known as Court House. Old Campden Manor, built around 1613, was a lavish and noble house, which cost £29,000 to build and £15,000 to furnish. The elaborate contemporary gardens were in many respects a copy of ideas used at Hatfield House before 1612.
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • The Landmark Trust

  • The National Trust (the Coneygree)

References

References

Contributors

  • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust