Campden House (also known as Combe Grange)6069

Chipping Campden, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

The gardens associated with Campden House have mid-19th- and mid-20th-century elements. They comprise a formal terrace, topiary, ornamental woodland with walks, a well and a fish pond. The house is set in a parkland landscape with a long approach drive.

History

The early 17th-century house was remodelled around 1846 in the Victorian gothic style at the same time as the garden was originally laid out. The property belonged to Lord Gainsborough at this time. Parts of the garden were relaid and modified by Norman Jewson in the 1930s for Captain George E Coles. The property passed to the current owner in about 1960.

Detailed Description

Campden House is set in a parkland landscape on hillside with a woodland backdrop and a long approach drive. The mid-19th-century terrace walls, remodelled by Norman Jewson in the 1930s, incorporate stone steps and a garden seat. In addition to the formal terrace and lawns, there is clipped yew and laurel and ornamental woodland with walks. There is also a well and a fish pond. The grounds are maintained in excellent condition.
Features
  • Gazebo
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: Walls to terrace, remodelled by Jewson in the 1930s.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Building
  • Description: An early 17th-century 'tithe barn', restored in about 1846 and again around 1930.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Mansion (featured building)
  • Description: An early 17th-century house rebuilt in the Victorian gothic style in about 1846, and added to in the 1930s by Norman Jewson.
  • Earliest Date:
Fishpond, Lawn, Topiary, Garden Terrace
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Chipping Campden
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Associated People

Just one person associated to Campden House

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References

    Contributors

    • Gloucestershire Gardens & Landscape Trust