Norton Hall, Mickleton 3882

Chipping Campden, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

The site has a landscaped park set around a house built in the mid-19th century.

History

The history of the site is rather obscure, but it is known to have been owned by George Giffard in 1613.

Detailed Description

The site consists of a large landscaped park approached by fine gatepiers with twisted urns.

Sale particulars from 1925 described an estate of 145 acres (about 59 hectares). The house was approached by a fine avenue of oaks and limes, and surrounded by pleasure gardens which included a rock garden. The sale particulars from 10 years later mentioned 'beautiful old gardens' with a walled kitchen garden.

Features
  • Urn
  • Description: Twisted urns.
  • Gate
  • Description: The park is approached by fine gatepiers.
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is of unadorned brick. It has five bays, two storeys and a stone parapet with a pedimented central porch on paired Tuscan columns. There are additions dating from the mid-19th century at the rear and further alterations by Guy Dawber in 1894.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Weston Subedge
History

Detailed History

The history of the site is somewhat obscure. It was owned by George Giffard in 1613. The estate was divided on his death. Lower Norton (including the Hall) passed to the Fiennes family and then to a Mr. Maunder, who sold it to Thomas Eden in 1779. The north-east corner of the house is believed to date from that time. The estate was owned by the Earls of Harrowby in 1840, by James Fenton in 1868 and by Samuel Bruce from around 1879.

The house was used as a hospital during World War 1. In 1925, it was bought by a Mrs. Willoughby, who stripped out some of the internal decoration. It was sold to the father of the present owner in 1935. According to Kingsley, the family moved out to the home farm and let the house in 1996.

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References

    Contributors

    • Gloucestershire Gardens and Landscape Trust

    • Joan Jones

      1