Memorial Gardens, Ashford 2263

Kent, England, Kent, Ashford

Brief Description

The features of the memorial garden and public open space include a sunken amphitheatre, pier, moorings, wide lawns, flowering fruit trees and fountains. The gardens also include two stainless steel gateways, designed by Anthony Robinson, depicting flying swans.

History

A public open space was created here in 1897. It was designated as a memorial garden to World War 1 in 1924. The area was redeveloped in 2003 and is now more a public park than memorial garden.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use.

Detailed Description

A civic consciousness about this garden confirms its status as a serene and secluded setting for the war memorial, which is approached from both east and west memorial gates by an avenue of chestnut trees.

Links with Europe are celebrated in tapestry bedding, depicting the escutcheons of Ashford and her twinned towns of Fougéres and Bad Munstereifel.

Flowering trees and shrubs bring colour to each season, and in the special garden, made in association with Quest International, the fragrance of aromatic plants, the wind chimes and birdsong liven the senses.

Nearby Vicarage Field, formerly the graveyard of St. John's Hospital, was acquired in 1951. It is a small green square with lime trees and shrubs, central to the town.

Features
  • Amphitheatre
  • Description: A sunken amphitheatre used for events and concerts.
  • Gate
  • Description: Stainless steel gates depicting flying swans, designed by Anthony Robinson.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Feature
  • Description: Flowering fruit trees including pear and cherry.
  • Obelisk
  • Description: A war memorial in the form of an obelisk.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: Avenue of Chestnut trees.
  • Planting
  • Description: There is a special garden, made in association with Quest International. This area has aromatic plants and windchimes.
Lawn
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use.
History

Detailed History

The Memorial Gardens, between Church Road and Station Road, Ashford, were originally glebeland that was acquired in 1924.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

References