Eastwell Park 1209

Ashford, England, Kent, Ashford

Brief Description

The principal building was constructed between 1793 and 1799 and demolished in 1926. Only the gatehouse and Eastwell towers of the original building remain, with a new house constructed on the site between 1926 and 1928 by Sir John Pennefather. The house is now a hotel.

Detailed Description

Once an extensive (650 hectares) and picturesque park, there are still many grand trees, although approximately 25% of the remaining parkland trees were destroyed in the 1987 storm.

To the front of the house is a somewhat bleak courtyard car park with a few stone tubs as ornaments. The formal gardens at the back of the house have recently been re-modelled and the current gardeners are endeavouring to improve the rather scant ornamental planting and bedding material.

A stone balustraded veranda leads down from the house to a terrace with herbaceous plants and roses. The central stairway then leads to a circular pool with central ornate fountain incorporating dolphins within a scallop shell. Beyond is a grassed area enlivened with yew pillars and ending with views over the parkland beyond.

At the side of the house is a croquet lawn, a sunken rose garden and various formal bedding areas. A summer house has been renovated and re-roofed (1987) and an ornamental pool was drained in July 1988 for re-proofing. Twelve trees were lost within the formal gardens in the 1987 storm including Scots pine, oak and copper beech. The gardens have a grandiose air which would be further much improved by more luxuriant planting of herbaceous/shrubbery plants.

Features
  • Hotel (featured building)
  • Description: The present Gothic style house was built for Sir John Pennefather.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: A stone balustraded verandah leads down from the house to a terrace with herbaceous plants and roses.
  • Pool
  • Description: The central stairway then leads to a circular pool with central ornate fountain incorporating dolphins within a scallop shell.
  • Fountain
  • Description: The central stairway then leads to a circular pool with central ornate fountain incorporating dolphins within a scallop shell.
  • Croquet Lawn
  • Description: At the side of the house is a croquet lawn.
  • Rose Garden
  • Description: There is a sunken rose garden.
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: A summer house has been renovated and re-roofed (1987).
Access & Directions

Directions

The site is north-west of Boughton Lees; north Kennington.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Eastwell
History

Detailed History

The Victorian house was demolished in the 1920s and the present Gothic style house built between 1926 and 1928 for Sir John Pennefather. There is an impressive neo-Jacobean Gatehouse built around 1843 in flint and stone.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

References