Memorial Garden, Nash Mills 7832

Hemel Hempstead, England, Hertfordshire, Dacorum

Brief Description

The memorial comprises an inscribed metal plaque set in a carved stone surround which has a coat of arms within a wreath. The inscription reads 'To the eternal honour and undying memory of the gallant men of the firm of John Dickinson and Co. who gave their lives for their country in the Great War 1914-1918'. A further inscription reads `To the glory of Nash Mills Men who gave their lives in the World War 1939-1945'. The 213 names are arranged beneath according to the site where each worked. It is set in a small garden surrounded by railings, within a grassed area. There is planting around the base of the plaque and a small pond in front of it, set around with rocks. Currently the pond has been filled in and topped with gravel but there are plans to replant the garden and re-instate the pool.

History

The memorial and garden were set up shortly after the end of World War 1 to commemorate the employees of Dickinsons Mills across the country who had lost their lives. The garden fell into dereliction and has been restored as part of the redevelopment of the site. Its future is uncertain.

Terrain

River Valley

Detailed Description

The Nash Mills war memorial, constructed shortly after the end of World War 1 is an important historical testament to the men who worked for Dickinson's at ten sites in England and abroad. There is a presumption in favour of designating free-standing war memorials as they are an important reminder of nationally and internationally significant events which had a tragic impact on local communities. This war memorial is architecturally distinct and is within a kept garden. It has the added interest of being dedicated to the dead of a single business and is a fitting tribute to the fallen of two world wars, deserving of national recognition which Listed status confers.

The garden was recently restored by developers but is under threat from changes to remove the pond and enlarge the hard landscaping.

Features
  • War Memorial
  • Description: There is a memorial plaque dating from after World War 1. The creator is unknown.
Access & Directions

Directions

Next to Lower Lane, Nash Mills close to turn for Bunkers Lane.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Nash Mills
History

Detailed History

In 1791, Henry and Sealy Foudrinier, stationers in the City of London, purchased a mill at Two Waters, near Hemel Hempstead, and began making paper.

John Dickinson purchased Apsley mill in 1809 and the nearby Nash Mill in 1811 where he installed and developed machines of his design which were producing some of the best and most consistent paper in the country.

The house at Nash Mills was at first occupied by John Dickinson until he moved to Abbots Hill in 1834 and his partner Charles Longman occupied the house until 1856, when it was occupied by the Evans family (daughter of John Dickinson). The house became offices in 1906 and the garden which set off this house was absorbed into the Mills complex over time and no trace no remains of it.

The memorial garden was set up after World War 1 to commemorate the 213 people from ten Dickinson Mills killed during it.

This memorial was set in a small garden near to Stephenson's Cottages (built 1840 for Leonard Stephenson, the engineer who introduced steam engines to the Mills) which was laid out with lawns and flower beds.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

References

Contributors

  • Kate Harwood

    1

  • Pat Livesey

    1