Martyr Worthy Place (also known as Martyr Worthy Cottage)5026

Winchester, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The site has an 18th-century house with later additions. The house is set within a small park and pleasure grounds. Within the grounds is an interesting, restored and intact early-20th-century Arts and Crafts garden. This is now part of Martyr Worthy Minor, which is a component area of this site.

History

The Tithe map, 1841, shows a modest house, garden and plantation with pasture to the north. The first edition Ordnance Survey map (1870-93) identifies the house as Martyr Worthy Cottage. In the early-20th-century, the house was bought by Miss Christian who extended it considerably, built a gardener's cottage and had the entrance drive changed to sweep past the gardener's cottage and approach the house to the north with an entrance portico.

Detailed Description

The Ffennell family bought the house in 1926 and made further additions to the Arts and Crafts garden. They sold the main house in 1978-9. However, the grounds were divided up so that the Arts and Craft garden, the small parkland area to the north and the gardener's cottage were retained by a Trust set up by the Ffennell family. A new entrance drive to the cottage was created away from the gardener's cottage across the park leaving the old entrance drive to lead only to the old gardener's cottage now called Martyr Worthy Minor (see component area).
Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Summerhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ironwork
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The modest early-19th century house was extended in the early-20th century.
  • Latest Date:
Tree Belt
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Itchen Valley
History

Detailed History

The Tithe map, 1841, shows a modest house, garden and plantation with pasture to the north, all owned by Charlotte Eyles. To the west of the house there are three tiny cottages with strip gardens which run down to the roadside. They are shown in the Tithe Apportionment as belonging to John Watson. The main house stands further back with two entrance drives, one circular to the right and one to the left which runs by the side of the strip gardens up to the back of the house. Planting, possibly a kitchen garden is shown as well as a perimeter belt of trees round to the north and east of the pasture land.

The first edition Ordnance Survey map (1870-93) identifies the house as Martyr Worthy Cottage. The tiny cottages have disappeared, although the strip gardens seem to remain and a small new building is shown at right angles. The circular drive from the main road is still there and the second driveway is now lined with trees or shrubs. The planted areas are more elaborate and more trees in the pasture area gives it a parkland appearance. To the east of the plot there is a meadow, shown as arable on the Tithe map.

In the early-20th-century, the house was bought by Miss Christian who extended it considerably, built a gardener's cottage and had the entrance drive changed to sweep past the gardener's cottage and approach the house to the north with an entrance portico. The architects were Cancellor and Hill from Winchester. The parkland and perimeter belt of trees remained. However, in the meadow to the east Miss Christian created a new walled garden in an Arts and Crafts style. The third edition 25" Ordnance Survey map (1909) shows this garden and also identifies that the name of the house has changed to Martyr Worthy Place.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here