Martyr Worthy Manor (also known as The Priory)5030

Winchester, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The site has a late-18th-century house, which was once the rectory. Features include old walls and specimen trees in a 20th-century garden with lawns, spring-planting and herbaceous borders.

History

Martyr Worthy Manor was built around 1790, although the gardens mainly date from the 20th century.

Detailed Description

The third edition 25" map of 1909 identifies paths leading to a long kitchen garden or orchard area in the north-west. An opening in the hedge leads through from the rectory to the church and the open area now has more trees planted.

Old walls and specimen trees remain, as well as some of the paths and the entrance drive. However, the extensive gardens are mainly a 20th-century creation consisting of lawns, herbaceous borders, spring bulb-planted grass areas, yew hedges, swimming pool and tennis court. The 12th century church, which forms a backdrop to the house, can still be reached through the opening in the hedge, though the house is no longer a rectory.

Features
  • Tree Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: The third edition 25? map of 1909 identifies paths leading to a long kitchen garden or orchard area in the north-west.
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Description: The third edition 25? map of 1909 identifies paths leading to a long kitchen garden or orchard area in the north-west.
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • And Rectory
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Description: Yew hedges.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Itchen Valley
History

Detailed History

The Queen Anne house, dating from about 1790, was the combined rectory, manor house, known as a ‘squireson'. Two wings were added during the 19th century. The Tithe map, 1841, identifies the Rectory belonging to Sir Henry Rivers, rector. It shows a series of drives leading to the house from the north-east corner passing by outhouses ranged around a courtyard. There is a large open area to the west of the house which is surrounded by belts of trees, named as a wood in the tithe apportionment.
References

Contributors

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust