Hinton House 4978

Kings Worthy, Winchester, Winchester, Hampshire, England

Brief Description

This is one of the remaining Victorian villas of Kings Worthy, and was for some time incorporated into Kings Worthy Primary School. There has been some restoration of the terrace and a walled garden which was used as a teaching resource. The long drive survives but is now overgrown. The main house and garden were sold off in 2008.

History

Hinton House appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1869) with its lodge at the entrance to the long avenue of trees leading from what is now the A33 to Basingstoke. The house was later incorporated into Kings Worthy Primary School with some out buildings privately owned and the stable block an adult learning centre. The house was sold in 2008, it is believed with a condition of being maintained as one private dwelling with gardens.

Detailed Description

In 2006 a decision was taken to sell off the house and garden and invest in a new school building. The house was sold in 2008, it is believed with a condition of being maintained as one private dwelling with gardens.
Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: The well-stocked kitchen garden had fruit trees, 6 feet and 6 inches high walls and a forcing house heated by hot water pipes.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tennis Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Croquet Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Kings Worthy
History

Detailed History

Hinton House appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1869) with its lodge at the entrance to the long avenue of trees leading from what is now the A33 to Basingstoke. The avenue ends with a circular drive and there are two walled gardens stretching behind the house westwards.

Sales details of 1908 describe the Capital Croquet lawn in front of the entrance surrounded by well-grown ornamental trees and flowering shrubs. Also described are attractive pleasure grounds consisting of a double tennis lawn, shady walks, grass slopes and flower beds bounded on the south-east by a park-like paddock. The well-stocked kitchen garden had fruit trees, 6 feet and 6 inches high walls and a forcing house heated by hot water pipes.

When it no longer was lived in as a family home it was used as a repository for the Hampshire Wardrobe. The house was later incorporated into Kings Worthy Primary School with some out buildings privately owned and the stable block an adult learning centre. The lodge is a private house. In the late 1980s, pressure was brought to preserve one of the walled gardens which for a while was a fruit garden and successfully used as a teaching resource. The chalk wall had a flint and rubble core and parts of the building were built out of what is believed to be dense chalk blocks thrown up at the time of the building of the railway.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

Contributors

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust