Manor House, Frenchay 2218

Bristol, England

Brief Description

The Manor House, Frenchay is an 18th- and 19th-century garden with mature specimen trees. This record was checked with South Gloucestershire Environment Records Officer - June 2010.

History

The house was built for Joseph Beck around 1736.

Detailed Description

The garden is well-maintained. An Atlas Cedar, 180 years old was felled in 1984 because it leaned dangerously over the main house. The impressive stump is now incorporated into a small children's playground. A massive copper beech was dying of fungal infection when the site was last surveyed in 1987, but at that stage the tree had not been felled.

The kitchen garden is in full productive use, employing a gardener. The pleasure garden contains many specimen trees and shrubs. There are two cypresses notable for their unusual habit of growth, the bases having sent up several main trunks. The effect is of a very wide and imposing tree.

The site has mature specimens of plane, sweet chestnut, Scots pine, holly and two magnolias. There are fine lawns surrounding the pond. On a small island there is a curious statue on a stone plinth. The statue is of a boy leaning against a tree trunk. He appears to have three legs but only two buttocks.

In the northern corner of the garden there is a stone plinth, but the statue has gone.

The buildings are all well-maintained. The stable block has been converted into the principal's residence.

Features
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Mature specimen trees.
  • Pond
  • Description: An elongated pond with an island.
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was built by John Strahan for Joseph Beck. The house is notable as the first Frenchay building to use the fashionable Bath limestone, made available by the River Avon being made navigable from Bath to Bristol in 1727.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Ornament
  • Description: There is a statue plinth but no figure.
  • Stable Block
  • Description: This is now the principal's residence.
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Manor Cottage. The register of listed buildings refers to the cottage as mid-late 18th century, though it has also been claimed to be Jacobean, with parts preceeding the building of the Manor House.
  • Gate
  • Description: The gates, piers, railings and wall are all listed.
  • Statue
  • Description: On a small island there is a curious statue on a stone plinth. The statue is of a boy leaning against a tree trunk. He appears to have three legs but only two buttocks.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: The kitchen garden is in full productive use, employing a gardener.
Gate Piers, Wall, Railings
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Winterbourne
History

Detailed History

The house was built from new around 1736 for Joseph Beck, a Quaker merchant. It remained in the Beck family until 1800, when it was purchased by Philip Debell Tuckett the elder. The property passed through various ownerships until it was bought and restored as a Children's Home in 1950.

Period

  • 18th Century
Associated People

Just one person associated to Manor House, Frenchay

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References