Manor House (c 1830), Richmond House (c1701) and Manor Hall (1927-30) form a complex of buildings now owned by Bristol University. They are surrounded by landscaped ornamental gardens.York Place (c1796 - 1816) is a terrace of 16 houses, now numbered 2 - 16. On the opposite side of the roadway is a rectangular garden area with cast iron railings which was originally the private communal garden for York Place, now the residents of York Place have right of access.
Ornamental gardens surround Manor House, Richmond House and Manor Hall (the latter designed in symmetrical style by Hyatt Cowles Baker). The site is now in the ownership of Bristol University. The earliest building on site is Richmond House 1701-03, Manor House dates from c1730 and Manor Hall was built by George Oatley c1930, it is not listed but is an impressive building.
The ornamental gardens surrounding these properties on a sloping site, are held on Lower Clifton Hill by large retaining walls and there are steps throughout the site. The Hyatt Cowles Baker garden follows a flat curved plan which echoes the curved rear elevation of Manor Hall. The gardens have mostly been replanted in the late 20C with mulberries, medlar, spanish chestnt, quince, fig, walnut, crab apple and cherries. Two tulip trees are original to the Hyatt Cowles Baker planting and layout.
York Place is a terrace of 16 houses, now numbered 2-16, and they face onto the back and side of Manor House. The rectangular landscaped garden opposite York Place was originally a private communal garden for York Place. It is now in the ownership of Bristol University but the residents of York Place have a right of access.
The site of Richmond House was on the, then, road into Clifton - a steep and narrow route. The grounds were originally more extensive.
- Associated People
Avon Gardens Trust