This semi-formal garden was created in 1747, and its layout remains largely intact. Features include lawn terraces, tulip trees, a rockery, informal border planting and stone walls. Clifton Hill House is used as a students' residence and also holds weddings, but is not open to the public in the regular sense.
Clifton Hill house was built as a mansion in the Palladian style for Paul Fisher.
The garden at Clifton Hill House is square-shaped, and occupies a sloping site. It is typical of its period in its interesting combination of formal and informal elements. The garden is dominated by the huge Palladian façade of the house, with a large double flight of steps leading to the first of a series of terraces. Further grassed terraces lead down the slope, until the lawn is terminated by a curving line of trees and shrubs.
Four tulip trees were originally planted on the lawn in a square shape, but only one of the original four survives. Another has been planted to balance this, probably in the 19th century. The formality of the terraced lawn is broken up by other plantings and a small rockery. The garden is enclosed on all sides by high stone walls, giving it a pleasant atmosphere of seclusion.
Parts of the layout of the Georgian garden at Clifton Hill House have been preserved intact, but other areas are not well maintained. A stone building in the north-east corner of the garden is in ruins, and the planted area at the eastern end of the garden is somewhat overgrown. The large terraced lawn that comprises most of the remaining garden at Clifton Hill House is in good condition and is well cared for.
- House (featured building)
- Description: Clifton Hill House is a large suburban house built in 1747 by Isaac Ware. It is unusual in that the main front overlooks the garden rather than the road.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Description: The large terraced lawn at Clifton Hill House was the central feature of the Georgian garden, and seems almost like an extension of the house.
- Specimen Tree
- Description: Four tulip trees were originally planted on the lawn in a square shape, but only one of the original four survives. Another has been planted to balance this, probably in the 19th century.
- Garden Building
- Description: A stone building in the north-east corner of the garden is in ruins.
Clifton Hill House was built in 1747 by Isaac Ware. At that time, Clifton was still undeveloped, but was becoming a more fashionable area for rich merchants to live in. The garden of Clifton Hill House was laid out as the house was built. It was part of the integral design, the garden being the best place from which to view the Palladian façade of the house. The terrace and steps from the house led down into the terraced garden.
Some planting has taken place in the Clifton Hill House garden in the 19th and 20th centuries. Some of the layout has been preserved intact. The house and grounds were bought by the University of Bristol and are now used as a hall of residence.
- Associated People
University of BristolSenate House, Tyndall Avenue, Bristol, BS8 1TH