Madingley Road, Pleasure Gardens 3992

Cambridge, England, Cambridgeshire, Cambridge

Brief Description

Features of Madingley Road Pleasure Gardens include a summerhouse, an ornamental glasshouse and walks.

History

The pleasure gardens at Madingley Road were established in the mid-19th century.

Detailed Description

Each plot was individually designed and included a summerhouse, ornamental glasshouses and a variety of walks amongst flower beds, trees and shrubberies. Most of the plots were 0.1 hectare (.25 acre) and water was laid on by St John's College who owned the land, and collected an annual rent.

These gardens are similar to continental examples where larger gardens away from private residences were located outside the city walls or boundaries.

Features
  • Glasshouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Summerhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

By 1860 a site to the north of Madingley Road had been let out for 13 plots for professionals who resided in Cambridge and wished to create a larger garden. By 1903 most of these pleasure gardens had been taken over for housing.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust