Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Alexandra Gardens, Cambridge


A public park created in 1887 on the site of a former brickworks. The park was formally opened in 1907 and much of the original planting and landscaping remains.

The site slopes towards the river and, except for the replacement of tennis courts with children's play equipment, the layout has remained unchanged. An avenue of lime trees along the northern boundary encloses the grounds as do the now mature plane trees.
Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Alexandra Gardens lie to the north-east of Castle Hill and were created when the Victorian Brickworks were closed down in 1887. In 1891 and 1892 an epidemic of diphtheria in the New Chesterton area held up the purchase of land, but in 1904 Chesterton Rural District Council bought the land for 425 pounds and it was agreed this land on Carlyle Road should be laid out as a public recreation ground.

In 1905, 17 new trees replaced dead trees along the road frontage, and new boundary fences were erected around the area of the brickfields. The site was levelled, turfed, then new plane trees and Italian poplars planted.

The grounds were formally opened in April 1907, following the approval of regulations for playing bowls and lawn tennis in the recreation ground.

Key Information







Open to the public