Fitzwilliam college moved to its present site on Huntingdon Road in 1958 designed by Denys Lasdun and incorporating a Georgian House and garden. In the 1980s the grounds were extensively re-landscaped.
Detailed DescriptionLasdun's Hall complex and north range no longer dominate the site, now that the land around The Grove is included within the college grounds. In 1989 Andrew Peters was asked to prepare plans to link the garden around The Grove to the rest of the College. This was achieved by retaining the Victorian garden around the house rather than letting lawns flow up to the walls. To the north are wide mixed borders filled with mediterranean plants, suitable for growing within the three storey walls of the court. Here purple sages, euphorbias, bergenias and olearias are thriving well.
The range to the west of the hall was re-landscaped in 1984, with shrubs and climbers in planters. The new Wilson Building stands within mature trees with views through to The Grove. The Grove's stables and rear glasshouse are divided in half by a fence, and are now shared with New Hall. However a mature plane tree is now the focus of the garden and acts as a splendid screen when seen through the Chapel window.
Lawn, Mixed Border, Tree Feature, Glasshouse
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Detailshttp://www.fitz.cam.ac.uk/index.jsp
Detailed HistoryFitzwilliam College started as Fitzwilliam House in 1889, opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum along Trumpington Street. In 1958 the College moved to a new site along the Huntingdon Road, into accommodation designed by Denys Lasdun.
The layout is one of a spiral commencing at the main entrance off Storey's Way, giving a spatial quality to the layout. This reaches its climax at the Chapel with fine views through the east window towards The Grove, a private house once owned by the Darwin family.
The Grove is a late Georgian house and was bought by Mrs. Charles Darwin after her husband's death in 1882. She described the garden as 'being the very place for an old person, such nooks and corners for shelter and seats'. Her daughter Henrietta added 'It had old walls and spreading wych-elms which gave it charm and individuality'.
- Associated People