Madeley Hall 5816

Madeley, England, Shropshire

Brief Description

Madeley Hall sat within 180 acres of farmland, and had formal gardens to the east of the house.

History

Madeley Hall was first built around 1700, by the Ashwoods, a prominent Madeley family. There were formal gardens by the late 18th century.

Features
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Madeley Hall is a Queen Anne-style brick mansion, with quoins, a parapet, and a hipped roof. The interior is paneled with wood.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gazebo
  • Description: There was a two-storeyed gazebo in the terraced gardens to the east of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Terrace
  • Description: There was a terrace to the east of the house, and a gazebo was built on it.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Madeley
History

Detailed History

Madeley Hall is a house of around 1700, and was originally the centre of a large farm of about 180 acres. Towards the end of the 18th century, the house had a formal garden, in which a two-storeyed gazebo had been built off a terrace along the east front. There is no evidence of historic parkland at Madeley Hall, but a small area to the north of the Ironbridge-Madeley road is called a park in 1881. It is uncertain whether the 'park' land is associated with the hall at that time, but the road had probably served as the boundary for its earlier 19th-century grounds.

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References