Features of Longthorpe Tower include a lawn bordered by conifers and shrubs, an orchard and a pigeon house.
The Tower is square in plan with turrets on the corners and its walls are six to seven feet thick. Wall paintings in the Great Chamber on the first floor were discovered after the Second World War. There is a garden to the south of the Tower which comprises a lawn bordered by conifers and shrubs of recent planting. Before the encroachment of recent development there was a rectangular stone pigeon house to the south-west of the Tower, and early sketches indicate an orchard with clipped shrubs.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
The opening times and admission prices vary. Please visit the website for more information.
A tower was added around 1300 at the north-east corner of an already existing house built by William de Thorpe in 1263.
- Features & Designations
- Pigeon Loft
- House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Key Information
Open to the public
Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust