Fletton Tower, Peterborough 6537

Peterborough, England

Brief Description

Features of Fletton Tower include a tree lined drive and rectangular garden compartments. Much of the original garden area has been sold and now houses factories and terraced houses.

History

Fletton Tower was created in the mid-19th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

Previously, access to the house was from the Oundle Road to the north via a tree lined drive with a lodge to a gateway leading to the gardens. Another drive served the property from London Road to the east. The garden was originally laid out in a series of rectangular compartments around the house.

Today the north avenue has been built over and several of the compartments have been sold. The east drive has been abandoned to a factory estate. The entrance to the house is now from the south.

Features
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

Built in 1840 by William Lawrence, a local solicitor, this romantic Tudor style stone house, with a central tower over the entrance porch, stands hidden behind high brick walls. The house is surrounded by rows of terraced houses and factories in Peterborough. At the turn of the century it became the home of L. P. Hartley, the author of ‘The Go-Between’ and the ‘Eaustace and Hilda’ trilogy.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust