Orton Longueville Hall 6258

Orton Longueville, England

Brief Description

Features of Orton Longueville Hall included a conifer collection, a conservatory, rockbound dells and a walled fruit and vegetable garden.

History

Orton Longueville Hall was created in the early-19th century as a private residence. The park is now a school.

Visitor Facilities

This site is now a hotel.http://www.abacushotels.co.uk/bw-orton-hall-hotel-cambridgeshire/

Detailed Description

Charles (10th Marquess) and his wife Maria were keen horticulturalists. Maria compiled an Herbarium of local wild plants. They both were responsible for the introduction of rare trees to the estate, including the dramatic 700 yard long avenue of Wellingtonias along the south boundary, which were planted as seedlings in 1861. Mr Harding, the head gardener showed many visitors the fine collection of conifers and was known for his patent method of measuring the height of the trees with his six foot staff.

A gigantic conservatory attached to the hall still remains. An article in ‘Cottage Gardener', July 1888 stated ‘The grounds are never more beautiful than when the numerous conifers are wreathed in fleecy snow, or resemble fountains and cones of silver by the hoar frost glistening on every spray and leaf'.

The grounds included rockbound dells and a wilderness full of ferns. There was a large rockery for alpines, a small Italian garden with a 1.6 hectare walled vegetable and fruit garden with a central canal. In 1954 the hall and park were sold to Cambridgeshire Education Authority and a school building was built in the walled vegetable garden. The park is now a school surrounded by playing fields.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Conservatory
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hotel (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This site is now a hotel.http://www.abacushotels.co.uk/bw-orton-hall-hotel-cambridgeshire/
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Orton Longueville
History

Detailed History

The Hall, now a hotel, was set in 8.8 hectares of parkland to the south-west of the city of Peterborough which expanded under the New Towns Act, engulfing the picturesque village or Orton Longueville. Originally the seat of the Marquess and Marchioness of Huntly, the Hall was built in 1835 to the designs of H. Smith of London.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust