This is a small remnant of Malden Common, which until the C20th extended to the east and is now built over by housing. Now renamed Leyfield Open Space, the remnant of the Common has grassland, scrub that is largely hawthorn, and woodland including oak trees to the north and a few Scots pine in the centre. A path runs through the site, which has fine views and to the north it reaches Old Malden church of St John.
Malden was renamed Old Malden when the station at New Malden opened in 1846 to the north. Malden comes from Mael-dun which meant 'a cross on the hill' in Anglo Saxon, and a church has been here since medieval times.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Malden Manor
London Parks and Gardens Trust