Cuddington Cemetery and St Phillip's Churchyard 7195

London, Greater London, England

Brief Description

Formally laid out in a rectangular grid, the cemetery has a World War 1 war memorial and the entrance is lined with trees including an occasional yew. To the west lies the former churchyard of St Phillip's Church, which was built in 1872-73 and demolished in 1972.

History

Cuddington Cemetery was laid out around 1901, and opened in 1902, the earliest grave also of this date.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open from 8.00am - dusk.

Detailed Description

Cuddington Cemetery and St Phillip's Churchyard are divided by a hedge and trees; the old churchyard now closed to burial. Accessible from Lindsay Road, Cuddington Cemetery was laid out c.1901, and opened in 1902, the earliest grave also of this date. Formally laid out in a rectangular grid, the cemetery has a WWI war memorial and the entrance is lined with trees including an occasional yew.. To the west lies the former churchyard of St Phillip's Church, which was built in 1872-73 and demolished in 1972. This part of the site is overgrown and remains untended.

Sources consulted:

LB Sutton Archive

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=SUT013

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open from 8.00am - dusk.

Directions

Rail Worcester Park. Bus 151, 213, 726, K10
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust