Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Leighton Hall


The Hall, standing next to Leighton church, was first built in the 18th century and remodeled in the 19th century. There was also a lodge built in 1891. Late 19th-century works in the grounds included the levelling of a fishpond, made out of the remnants of a medieval moat, and the creation of a tennis court and terrace walk.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Features & Designations


  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: Leighton Hall is a brick mansion with stone dressings, and two canted bay windows, dated to 1778. It was much remodelled in the late 19th century. The lodge gate piers, gate, and railings are of the late 18th century, contemporary with the original house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ironwork
  • Description: The gate and railings of the entrance lodge date to the late 18th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: The gate lodge was 'newly built' in 1891, but its ironwork dates to a century earlier.
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Description: There was a fishpond created out of the remnants of a medieval moat in the 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tennis Lawn
  • Description: A tennis court was built near the hall in the late 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Terraced Walk
  • Description: There was a terraced walk constructed in the grounds in the late 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information


Landscape Garden

Principal Building

Manor House


Part: standing remains

Open to the public


Civil Parish

Leighton and



  • Leach, F. (The County Seats of Shropshire}, (Shrewsbury: Eddowes' Shrewsbury Journal Office, 1891): 201-210.
  • Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. {The Buildings of England: Shropshire}, (London: Yale University Press, 2006)
  • {List of Historic Buildings: Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough} Buildwas, (Shrewsbury: Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council, 1986): 61-63.