Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

The Lawns, Dawlish (also known as Dawlish Water)

Introduction

Dawlish Water began to attract visitors at the end of the 18th century. The Gentleman's Magazine described it in 1793 as 'A bathing village where summer lingers and spring pays her earliest visits'. In 1803 the stream was straightened so that it ran through a broad lawn. The Strand and Brunswick Place were laid out on either side. The layout, which remains remarkably intact, disregarded the sea entirely, unlike later resorts.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Access contact details

This is a municipal park for general public use.

Owners

Teignbridge District Council

Forde House, Brunel Road, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 4XX
History

Period

  • 18th Century (1701 to 1800)
  • Late 18th Century (1775 to 1799)
Features & Designations

Designations

  • Conservation Area

Features

  • Stream
  • Lawn
Key Information

Type

Park

Purpose

Recreational/sport

Principal Building

Recreational

Period

18th Century (1701 to 1800)

Survival

Extant

Open to the public

Yes

Civil Parish

Dawlish

References

References