This component area relates to the 19th-century formal garden which overlies a 17th-century estate. It is a walled sunken garden, with a walled entrance and an arch. This section of the garden probably dates from the early-17th century when the house was built. The mature trees around the wall are also of this period. In 1985 it was recorded that there were stone sphinxes and steps.
The 19th-century garden has its origins in the early-17th century.
In 1985 the following description was recorded:
To the north side of the house, beyond the listed walled arched entrance, is a sunken garden. There is an informal grouping of several yews. One yew appears to be between 400 and 500 years old, according to its girth. Amongst these trees is a small stone building with two arched recesses which would have contained small statues. It appears to be the remains of a tiny private chapel.
In the centre of the sunken lawned garden is a walled pond, the shape of a largish well. The herbaceous borders alongside the sunken garden contain mallows, hounds tongue fern, peony and buddleia. To the north-east of this garden there are stone steps leading up to a slightly undulating lawned formal garden. On either side of the steps there are Egyptian-style stone sphinxes. They are rather grand sculptured ornaments made in 1840 by Coade and Sealy of Lambeth in London.
- Description: There are stone sphinxes dating to 1840. They are rather grand statues made by Coade and Sealy of Lambeth in London.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Description: There is a small circular walled pond. It is possible that this was previously a working well to supply the house with water.
- Herbaceous Border
- Description: The herbaceous borders alongside the sunken garden contain mallows, hounds tongue fern, peony and buddleia.
Avon Gardens Trust