The site has a number of fine ornamental trees dating from the C19th garden such as a Weymouth pine, deodar, oak, ash, sycamore, lime, horse-chestnut, and holly with elm in the understorey. Native trees and a boundary fence have been planted and a circular path laid out.
The area was once part of the Great North Wood. Knights Hill Wood Nature Reserve is named after the Knight family who were landowners in the C16th, and this was a small wood near Crown Point towards the top of the hill. It was formerly the grounds of Portobello House whose driveway between the road and the house divided either side of what is now the area of woodland. The house was demolished and Cedar House flats were built here in 1949, the area within the driveway becoming wild. In 1986 a proposal to build a doctor's surgery here was successfully opposed by local residents supported by the London Wildlife Trust to whom it was subsequently licensed to manage as a nature reserve.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: West Norwood then bus. Bus: 468
London Parks and Gardens Trust