Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Knighton Manor (also known as Knighton Gorges)


The surviving remains at Knighton Manor comprise the walled gardens with garden earthworks, alcove and garden building, and the gatepiers to the demolished house.

The manor house of Knighton Gorges, is historically considered to be one of the finest homes on the Isle of Wight. It was built sometime during the twelfth-century.

The remains of the gardens at Knighton Manor are situated on the south side of Knighton Down beside a water source which feeds the river Yar.

A late 18th century walled garden survives to the west - wall (Listed Building Grade II), divided by a later wall.

The upper garden contains raised banks, which are possibly the remains of a bowling green.

There is an alcove (Listed Building Grade II) - within the eastern wall of upper garden.

The lower garden contains a brick garden building with a vaulted ceiling - attached to the dividing wall (Basford 1990)

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Access contact details

The site is privately owned and unauthorised access is not allowed.


The following references are given by the Isle of Wight Gardens Trust:

14th Century

A park to the west in the 14th century.

17th Century

An orchard was present in the 17th century. (Oglander Memoirs ed. W.H. Long 1888).

A park and rabbit warren enclosed by a pale existed in the 17th century (Survey of the Manor of Ashey 1624).

18th Century

The site is shown on a map and the occupier named as Maurice Bisset Esq (Andrews 1769).

  • Shown on map (Worsley 1781). Illustrated (Worsley 1781).
  • Shown on map (Clarke 1812).

An area of individual trees in was present in open ground to the east.

  • An avenue (Ordnance Survey (OS)1793). Notable Lime trees
  • Walled gardens. Individual trees in open ground to the east and west (OS 1866).
  • An ornamental lake and a boat house once existed (Englefield 1816) - now lost.

19th Century

The house at Knighton Manor was demolished in 1821. The property has the reputation of being the most haunted site on the island.


  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Key Information






Late 18th Century


Part: standing remains

Civil Parish