Up until C19th the woodland was managed as a coppice with standards to provide timber for the community. It later became a game reserve, when the Keeper's Cottage was built, the woodland laid out for shooting. Wide rides dissected the site, each path crossing once marked by four tall conifers. In 1937 the land was purchased under the Green Belt Act for public open space, but many trees were removed by the army in WWII.
The name Kings Wood was originally given to a small area of woodland north of Kings Wood Lodge, but on maps of 1823 the area is called Sanderstead Wood. There is evidence of human activity here from the Iron Age on, including a Romano British settlement and C1st cemetery.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: East Croydon, South Croydon then bus. Bus 403
London Parks and Gardens Trust