Hoar Cross Hall 1755

Staffordshire, England, Staffordshire, East Staffordshire

Brief Description

The site is now a spa resort. The pleasure grounds to the south and south-west are still substantial. Those to the north are now taken over by car parking and those to the south-east are just discernable. There is also a terrace overlooking the parterre.

History

The house was built by Henry Clutton in 1862 for Hugo Francis Meynell-Ingram (1822-1871). There is a very large late-20th century extension.

Visitor Facilities

This is a spa and resort. Access may be limited. Please check the website for details.

Detailed Description

A terrace overlooks the parterre. This was very magnificent when constructed in the late-19th century by Mrs Meynell-Ingram, supposedly using Francis Bacon's Essay on Gardens as a guide.

An article in Country Life in 1902 shows a formal garden of almost unbelievable splendour. The pleached walk of limes was regarded as one of the finest examples in England. Between the garden and parkland there is a ha-ha.

There were a series of yew-hedged compartments and walks: the Rock garden, Water garden and sunken Lion garden and the Rhododendron walk, Oak walk and Beech walk. There are impressive late Victorian greenhouse ranges against the south wall of the large kitchen garden. The pleasure grounds are still discernable to the south-east, but those to the north of the forecourt have been taken over by car parking.In general, the site is overwhelmed; present use is as a health spa. There are Victorian greenhouse adjacent to a walled garden, now in separate ownership. The greenhouses have been sympathetically restored. Pleasure grounds to the south and south-west are still substantial.

Features
  • Pleached Trees
  • Description: Pleached limes.
  • Greenhouse
  • Description: Late Victorian.
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Seat
  • Description: Seats on garden terrace.
Garden Terrace, Parterre, Ha-ha, Kitchen Garden, Gate Piers, Gate, Gate Lodge
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a spa and resort. Access may be limited. Please check the website for details.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Yoxall
History

Detailed History

The house was built by Henry Clutton in 1862, for the Meynell-Ingram family, but has very large 20th-century extensions. A series of small, formal gardens to the east and south were formerly enclosed by topiary hedges with yew walks, designed by Mrs Meynell-Ingram, ostensibly by using Bacon's 'Essay on Gardens', but little of these remain.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Associated People

Just one person associated to Hoar Cross Hall

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

    References