Remnants of the formal gardens, fine trees and shrubberies, and other features remain, such as a ha-ha, coach house and two walled gardens, one of which has an Arts and Crafts garden.
The park was formerly the grounds of Haling Grove, an early Victorian house built on land originally part of the much larger Haling Park estate. Haling Grove had a succession of owners, the last being Sydney Shorter who bred horses here. After his death, his widow bequeathed the property to the Playing Fields Association in 1933, who transferred it to Croydon Corporation. After the house was demolished in 1936, the lawn was extended over its site and a small shelter erected.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Sanderstead, Purley Oaks
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust