Much of the school grounds behind the main buildings have been built over, but landscaping at the front remains with mature trees, steps and terraces as indicated on the map of 1868.
Thomas More Catholic School was originally the Warehousemen and Clerks Schools whose origins date back to December 1853. The school began in a house in New Cross, but soon larger premises were needed and in 1862 the present site was purchased, renamed Russell Hill after the school's President. The handsome red-brick buildings were opened by the Prince of Wales and the school grounds were laid out with various sports facilities such as cricket lawn and fields. Mr Ayles, Headmaster from 1878-96 and a keen gardener, had an apple orchard by his house.
- Access & Directions
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust