Great Abington Hall 5606

Great Abington, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Great Abington Hall include stables, drives, a walled garden and an ornamental canal.

History

Great Abington Hall was established in the early-18th century as a private residence.

Visitor Facilities

This site is open for conferences and weddings. Please visit the website for more information. http://www.abingtonhall.co.uk/home/index.jsp

Detailed Description

Western did much rebuilding and having built new stables to the north west of the hall, started to lay out an ornamental canal on a stretch of the River Granta that flowed through his land.

Later the park around the house was laid out by Humphry Repton in 1803 for John Mortlock, the Cambridge banker. The park is approached by two long drives, which converge on a lime avenue widening into a broad sweep at the entrance to the hall.

Behind the stable block was a productive walled garden with box-edged paths, espalier and walled fruit trees, lean-to plant houses and 7 heated pits with stoke holes. There is an attractive view across the park to the village church.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Espalier
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Canal
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This site is open for conferences and weddings. Please visit the website for more information. http://www.abingtonhall.co.uk/home/index.jsp
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Great Abington
History

Detailed History

The original medieval manor house of the Earls of Oxford has long since disappeared. In 1712 a house was built for Maximillian Western, the son of a wealthy London ironmonger. This was incorporated into the present late-18th-century hall, which still retains its iron veranda along the south front.

After the Second World War, the property was sold to the British Welding Research Association and the house is now converted into flats and offices.