Gillingham Park 1417

Gillingham, England

Brief Description

Gillingham Park is a public park created on land purchased in 1903, designed by J. Redfern.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/leisure/parks/2156.html

Detailed Description

The site was left as public open space and part was designed as an ornamental garden. Trees planted at that time give the park its character today, despite severe losses in the 1987 storm.

Flowering cherries, holly, magnolia, almond and catalpa have been added, with borders of shrubs, bulbs and seasonal planting providing colour. The mock-Tudor lodge of 1904 is in Council use.

The park features a bandstand, large open grassed areas and is surrounded by circular walks.

Features
  • Walk
  • Description: Circular walks.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: The mock-Tudor lodge of 1904 is in Council use.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Bandstand
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see: http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/leisure/parks/2156.html

Directions

There are entrances to the park on Canterbury Street, Park Avenue and Oxford Road.
History

Detailed History

The population of Gillingham doubled in the last quarter of the 19th century, creating a vital need for recreational space. An area of pasture was purchased by the Council in 1903 from Brasenose College, Oxford. The park was designed by J Redfern, the council's surveyor, and was opened in 1906.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Associated People
References

References