Firwood 4802

Bolton, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Firwood has a house with grounds and parkland to the south of Firwood Lane. There is an entrance lodge on Thicketford Road. Features include a wooded area with walks around, and partially concealing, the house, and a lake to the north.

History

The hall was originally built as a dower house for the Starkie family.

Detailed Description

Firwood has a house with grounds and parkland to the south of Firwood Lane. It is bounded by Thicketford Road to the south, open fields to east and fields with some development to the west. The Firwood Bleach Works and reservoirs lie to the north-east boundary of the site.

There is an entrance lodge on Thicketford Road. Features include a wooded area with walks around, and partially concealing, the house, and a lake to the north. Field boundaries had been absorbed into the park by the late-19th-century. The area has been developed for housing.

History

Detailed History

The hall was originally built as a dower house for the Starkie family. The estate has been owned by the Hardcastle family since 1815. Frank Hardcastle MP, owner in the late-19th-century, commissioned some remodelling of the house by R K Freeman.
References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit