Adjoining Richmond Park and separated from it by a brick wall, Sheen Common was once part of the extensive common land predating the formation of Richmond Park. Today, owned by the National Trust and leased by Richmond Council, East Sheen Common consists of woodland, a cricket field, tennis courts and a bowling green.
In the C18th George III had a farm to the west of the common near the parish boundary and King's Ride recalls the route from Kew Palace to the farm and Richmond Park. In 1845 the parish pound was moved to the common, which remained in the ownership of the Lord of the Manor until the East Sheen Common Preservation Society purchased the freehold in 1880.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: North Sheen. Bus: 485, 33, 337.
London Parks and Gardens Trust