Denham Court (also known as Denham Country Park)4665

Uxbridge, England, Greater London

Brief Description

This site is a late 17th-century mansion house with extensive grounds on the banks of the River Colne. The gardens have been remodelled into a golf course. There are still remnants of avenues of lime, and footbridges across the River Colne north of Denham Court built c.1850, and those east and south of Denham Court date from c.1890s.

History

Most of the historic landscape at Denham now falls within Buckinghamshire Golf Course, a golf club owned by a Japanese company, and is in South Buckinghamshire District Council. Denham Court was later owned by the GLC and St John's Covert, lake and island are all within LB Hillingdon. The house dates from the late-17th-century, though it was altered in the 18th and 19th centuries. Significant repairs took place in 1992. The main front garden dates from the late-18th century. The remains of medieval fishponds can also be found on the site.

Visitor Facilities

There is unrestricted access to Denham Lock Wood.
Features
  • Fishpond
  • Description: The remains of fishponds possibly dating from the 14th century manor of Denham.
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: A low brick bridge with two arches.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Boundary Wall
  • Description: An 18th century red brick wall surrounding a garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

There is unrestricted access to Denham Lock Wood.

Directions

Tube: Uxbridge (Metropolitan) then bus. Rail: Denham. Bus: U9, 331
Contact
References

References