The houses of County Terrace were replaced by a local authority housing estate although the garden remained and was laid out with lawn, various ornamental trees, flower beds and shrubs and a statue erected by the Dickens Fellowship referring to a passage in Charles Dickens' 'David Copperfield'. The garden has been completely re-landscaped.
David Copperfield Gardens was created on the site of the former private garden of County Terrace and is overlooked by the footbridge over New Kent Road to the south. In 1928 the neglected, irregularly shaped garden, at the time owned by the Trustees of Messrs. H C & M D Smith, was in the process of being sold to Southwark Borough Council for public open space.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Elephant & Castle (Northern, Bakerloo) then bus. Bus: 1, 53, 63, 172, 188.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust