The garden has been re-landscaped and has a number of gravestones in one corner.
There has been a church on the site since the C12th although the present church of St George the Martyr dates from the C18th. It is often referred to as 'Little Dorrit’s Church' because Charles Dickens’ character was baptised and married here. In 1816 the small churchyard was enlarged by Act of Parliament but it was eventually closed for burials in 1853 and was converted into a public garden in 1882. When Tabard Street was extended to Borough High Street, part of the churchyard was lost, and the detached portion was re-opened as public gardens in 1902, now called St George's Garden. The north boundary wall originally formed the southern boundary of Marshalsea Prison, where Dickens' father was incarcerated.
Visitor FacilitiesThe garden is open from 7.30am - sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe garden is open from 7.30am - sunset.
DirectionsTube: Borough (Northern), London Bridge (Northern, Jubilee). Bus: 21, 35, 40, 343, P3
London Parks and Gardens Trust