The site has a late-19th century and early-20th century garden and pleasure grounds. Fine trees and a walled garden remain. The Victorian Gothic style house has been demolished and replaced by a large office complex.
A Georgian house known as Crawley House was sited just behind the present church in Crawley. The house fell into decay in the 19th century. Between 1875 and 1877 a banker, Adam Kennard, completed a splendid new Victorian house to the design of the Frederick Pepys Cockerell. Kennard's wife died soon after and the house, estate and village gradually deteriorated. Otto Ernest Phillippi purchased the house and estate and moved in in 1901. He also bought the village cottages and proceeded to rebuild the village.
Detailed DescriptionThe complex is now (2008) owned by Arquiva (the successor to NTL) and there are several large satellites positioned in the grounds. A small part of the original gardens remain with the walled garden, lawns and fine, old trees.
- Garden Wall
- Description: A small part of the original gardens remain with the walled garden.
- Latest Date:
- Office (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Detailed HistoryA Georgian house known as Crawley House was sited just behind the present church in Crawley. The house fell into decay in the 19th century, having been occupied by the Meyer family from around the turn of the 18th century. Between 1875 and 1877 a banker, Adam Kennard, completed a splendid new Victorian house to the design of the Frederick Pepys Cockerell, then President of The Royal Institute of British Architects. Kennard's wife died aged 40 soon after and the house, estate and village gradually deteriorated and was on the market for some time.
Otto Ernest Phillippi purchased the house and estate and moved in in 1901. He also bought the cottages in the village and proceeded to rebuild the village. The whole appearance of the main street was improved when his gardeners were made responsible for planting out the cottage gardens facing the street with vegetable gardens at the back. Water was a problem until 1929 when it was piped to Crawley by the Southampton Water Company. Ernest died in 1917 and his son George succeeded him.
Due to the Wall Street crash, the estate was put up for sale in 1932. The sales particulars record a shoot, golf course, tennis courts, squash court and cricket ground. Due to the economic conditions, prices were depressed and by arrangement with the eventual purchasers, George continued to lease Crawley Court until his death in 1953. He also managed to place a restrictive covenant on future development of the village. Eventually, the Planning Authority designated the area a Conservation Area and blanketed it with a tree preservation order.
The grounds were extensive and comprised lawns round the house, pleasure gardens with groups and belts of ornamental and forest trees, formal gardens including a square sunken rose garden, herbaceous borders and long grass walks. A walled garden of about two acres (0.8 hectares) completely enclosed by a high brick wall and divided by grass walks.
The Bon Secours Nursing Order of Nuns acquired Crawley Court and ran it as nursing home until 1970 when it was bought by IBA who later changed their name to NTL. The house was demolished and was replaced by a large office complex.
Hampshire Gardens Trust