Wherwell Priory (also known as Wherwell Abbey)4967

Andover, England, Hampshire, Test Valley

Brief Description

The site has a small landscape park on the River Test, on the site of Wherwell Abbey. The house incorporates parts of several older buildings and has a 13th-century barn. Avenues lead to two 19th-century lodges and there is a large walled kitchen garden. Many mature trees remain in the park.

History

Wherwell Abbey was founded as a nunnery in 986. The Abbey was destroyed in 1141, then re-built in 1227, after which it flourished until the Dissolution. The Abbey was then used as a private residence. The present house was built between 1820 and 1830.

Detailed Description

The 1st edition Ordnance Survey maps show a well-wooded parkland, especially near the house and church, a thick belt of trees on the eastern boundary and individual trees in the park. The River Test flows through the north of the park. There is also a stream on the southern boundary and a stream through the centre of the park which is diverted under the Abbey. There is a large, walled kitchen garden with several glasshouses and many other outbuildings. The kitchen and fruit gardens were very productive and in the glasshouses vines, peaches, melons, cucumbers and carnations were grown. Some of the ornamental and exotic trees remain in the park.

Since the Iremonger family sold in 1913, the estate has been privately owned.

Features
  • Cottage Ornee
  • Description: About 1830 the Andover Lodge, a cottage ornee , was built and the main drive was re-located to the north, passing over the River Test.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable
  • Description: The Barn, formerly the Stables, dates from the 13th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Belt
  • Description: The 1st edition Ordnance Survey maps shows a thick belt of trees on the eastern boundary.
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: The 1st edition Ordnance Survey maps shows a large, walled kitchen garden with several glasshouses and many other outbuildings. The kitchen and fruit gardens were very productive and in the glasshouses vines, peaches, melons, cucumbers and carnations were grown.
  • Glasshouse
  • Description: The 1st edition Ordnance Survey maps shows several glasshouses and many other outbuildings.
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The priory dates from 1227, but the present house was built between 1820 and 1830, incorporating parts of older buildings.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • River
  • Description: River Test.
  • Gate Piers
  • Description: The original gatepiers at both lodges still remain.
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: In the mid-19th-century the octagonal East Lodge was built.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wherwell
History

Detailed History

Wherwell Abbey was a Benedictine Nunnery founded in 986 by Queen Elfrida. In 1141 the nuns were driven out and the Abbey destroyed by fire. However, in 1227 the Abbess Euphemia rebuilt the Abbey and diverted a carrier of the River Test under the Abbey. The Barn, formerly the Stables, dates from the 13th century.

The Abbey flourished under many Abbesses until the Dissolution in 1540, after which it was granted to Lord de la Warr whose family owned it until 1695. It was then sold to Edmund Boulter who died in 1709 when it passed to his nephew. Afterwards, it passed to his daughters until 1742, when the youngest daughter married Joshua Iremonger and it remained in their family until 1914.

The present house was built between 1820 and 1830, incorporating parts of older buildings. The main entrance had been to the east with an avenue leading to the Winchester road. About 1830 the Andover Lodge, a cottage ornée , was built and the main drive was re-located to the north, passing over the River Test. The house's main entrance now faces north. In the mid-19th-century the octagonal East Lodge was built. The original gatepiers at both lodges still remain.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Plummer Dixon Associates