Northwood Park 5164

Sparsholt, Winchester, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The site has been a common wood of Crawley since the 17th century. The small late-19th-century house was enlarged and became Claymore school in the 1920s. The house is now demolished, but wooded and pasture landscapes remain.

History

An area with trees called Northwood appears on the Taylor map of 1759, part of the common wood of Crawley which had been enclosed by the 16th-17th centuries. The Tithe map of 1837 also shows a wood but not a park. The first edition 25\" Ordnance Survey map (1871) and the six inch Ordnance Survey map (1879) show a small house, named as Northwood House, with a wood or orchard to the south. By 1884 a much larger house, now called Northwood Park, had been built. This is shown on the second edition 25\" Ordnance Survey map (1896). In the 1920s the house became Claymore School, described as a large public school in about 101 hectares (250 acres) of Northwood Park. The house has since been demolished.

Detailed Description

Stud Cottage remains, but the large house has been demolished. The wooded and pasture landscapes remain, with some fine trees.
Features
  • Glasshouse
  • Description: The map of 1896 shows several glasshouses.
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: The land to the south of the third edition Ordnance Survey 25? map (1910) shows a crescent-shaped drive.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Description: The map of 1896 shows a possible stable block to the west.
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is now demolished.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Crawley
History

Detailed History

Northwood Park lies to the west of Littleton. Northwood Park Farm is on its eastern boundary and Ball Down Farm lies to its southern boundary.

An area with trees called Northwood appears on the Taylor map of 1759, part of the common wood of Crawley which had been enclosed by the 16th-17th centuries. The land was leased to the Church wardens/overseers of the poor. In 1787 the Bishop granted the land for farming to Sir Willoughby Alton, including the pasture called the Park under the Northwood.

The Tithe map of 1837 also shows a wood but not a park. The first edition 25" Ordnance Survey map (1871) and the six inch Ordnance Survey map (1879) show a small house, named as Northwood House, with a wood or orchard to the south. Two chalk pits lie to the north and fields, probably arable, lie to the north and west.

In 1872 the land was bought off the yeoman family of Fifield by Philip Vanderbyl, a London merchant. By 1884 a much larger house, now called Northwood Park, had been built. This is shown on the second edition 25" Ordnance Survey map (1896). The wood or orchard to the south has disappeared, as have the fields. To the west and south there is a mix of deciduous and conifer trees and to the east and south there is open land. South of this area is clear land which might have been pasture. Further west lies Stud Cottage, possibly stables and several glasshouses.

The land to the south of the third edition Ordnance Survey 25" map (1910) shows a crescent-shaped drive, paths and more tree planting to the south-east of the building. The house has been enlarged still further.

In the 1920s the house became Claymore School, described as a large public school in about 101 hectares (250 acres) of Northwood Park. The fourth edition Ordnance Survey map (1932-38) names the school. The garden areas remain and the ‘pasture' area is referred to as ‘playing fields'. There was also a farm of 125 acres (50.6 hectares) attached to the estate.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
References

Contributors

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust