There are surviving formal and informal gardens associated with an important townhouse, built for prominent Cardiff citizen John Cory. Formal terraced gardens adjoin the house, and below it an informal area includes cascades and pools and exotic plantings of conifers and bamboos. Parts of the site south-east of the house were developed for offices, and now are being demolished for residential development.
A small garden was laid out around the house before 1915. There was an orchard, walled garden, glasshouse and pond. By 1940 a much more expansive layout of formal and informal garden was created. Later in the century parts of the garden were cleared to make way for offices and carparks and redevelopment is now taking place.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsThe site is on the northern edge of Cardiff adjoining the A 4054.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- CADW, Register of Landscapes, Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales:Additional andRevised Entries, Volume1 (Cardiff: CADW, 2007) 8-11Register of Landscapes, Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales: Additional and Revised Entries, Volume 1