These are the surviving gardens and playing fields of one of the grandest and most important Edwardian Asylums in Wales. The fine tree planting, of horse chestnuts, beech, oak, plane and scots pine and the verandas and garden shelters reflect the therapeutic philosophy of the time. The gardens are now undivided but path layout adjoining the wards were formerly separated from one another by loop-topped iron fencing. The exotic planting in the south-west corner of the site was originally associated with a private house, Velindre, which was acquired by the hospital in 1899.
The site, comprising Velindre house and 120 acres was acquired in 1899 by Messrs Oatley and Skinner of Bristol, who had designed asylums in Surrey and Lancashire. An imposing purpose-built asylum building was commenced in 1902. The layout and planting is attributed to Mr G.E. Davies and the Cardiff City Parks Superintendent William W. Pettigrew.By 1924 the hospital's two farms (which employed patients) were highly productive of livestock and garden produce. The hospital was used as a military hospital in both World Wars, but has otherwise served as a psychiatric hospital for more than 100 years.
- Hospital (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Access & Directions
DirectionsFrom the M4 Junction 32 (A470, Merthyr Tydfil):At the roundabout take the exit signposted Whitchurch (A4504), adjacent to the Village Hotel and Leisure Club. Proceed down Pendwyallt Road into Park Road, passing Coryton Railway Station on the left. The entrance to Whitchurch Hospital is another 300m on the right.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Whitchurch Hospital
- CADW, Register of Landscapes, Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales:Additional and Revised Entries, Volume1 (Cardiff: CADW, 2007) 12-15Register of Landscapes, Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales: Additional and Revised Entries, Volume 1