Cors-y-Gedol 935

Dyffryn Ardudwy, Wales

Brief Description

Cors-y-Gedol is a late-16th-century country house with a park and garden dating from at least the 18th century. Features include a kitchen garden, which may be contemporary with the house, an intact mid-18th-century lime avenue, woodland and formal plantations with intersecting paths.

History

The house was built in 1576 by Richard Vaughan, and a gatehouse added in 1630. After passing to the Mostyn family by marriage, the estate was finally sold to the Corbetts in 1858. It was a school and hostel in the first half of the 20th century before being bought by the present owners in 1951.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The late-16th-century house was remodelled at the end of the century, extended in the 17th and 18th centuries and finally doubled in size in the 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: Lime avenue.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Plantation
  • Description: Formal plantations with intersecting paths.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Dyffryn Ardudwy
History

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact
References

References