Colesbourne Park (also known as Colesbourne House)7141

Cheltenham, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

Colesbourne Park is a Victorian garden and arboretum within an earlier estate, largely developed by the naturalist and plant collector, Henry Elwes. The historic snowdrop collection started by him with the discovery of Galanthus elwesii in Turkey in 1874 is a special feature.

History

In 1820 a deer park of some 61 acres was in existence between the Churn and Hilcot brook. The brook opened into an elongated lake, formed by 1820. By the early-1880s this had been extended and developed as an arboretum by HJ Elwes.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open on limited days under the National Gardens Scheme.
Features

Style

  • English Landscape Garden
Ornamental Lake, Planting
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open on limited days under the National Gardens Scheme.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Colesbourne
History

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Associated People

Just one person associated to Colesbourne Park

References

References