Cerney House (also known as North Cerney House)6826

Cirencester, England, Gloucestershire, Cotswold

Brief Description

Cerney House is approached by a drive through the garden to the front of house developed below the ha-ha in late 20th century. The Victorian walled garden to the rear of house is divided into sections part decorative with parterre and part for vegetables. There is a wooded valley with woodland walks and orchard and a new gazebo to the west of the walled garden with herb garden in front.

History

Estate was bought by Thomas Tyndale in 1761 who rebuilt the house and landscaped the small park. Further alterations were made using the part of drawings made by James Burton of London. In 1814 the estate passed to the Croome family who were said to have \"a handsome seat surrounded by a park and pleasure grounds of nearly 100 acres\". W I Croome built a circular lodge in 1914. The Estate changed hands several times between 1930 and 1983, when it was purchased by present owners.

Visitor Facilities

www.cerneygardens.com gardens only See website for times

Detailed Description

Cerney House lies in a wooded valley approached by a short drive, with two recently developed long mixed borders in front of the house below the ha-ha. The walled Victorian garden lies behind the house and is entered through a wrought iron gate with stone finials on the gate piers. It has a restored Victorian greenhouse and restored Victorian bothy now used as a shop. The walled garden is divided into sections with box parterres in part, the rest is devoted to vegetables and flowers. There are woodland walks incorporating the ruined chapel which is on the slopes above the house. Snowdrops have naturalised in these woods and other wild flowers are encouraged. There are many fine trees including a specimen of populus tremulus which is a Champion Tree in the Tree Register. They hold the National Collection of Tradescantia and have a very large collection of Galanthus varieties.
Features

Style

  • Informal
  • Bothy
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Greenhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gazebo
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ruin
  • Description: chapel
  • Country House (featured building)
  • Description: The present house is based on what was largely rebuilt in or shortly after 1761.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Icehouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Piers
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Ha-ha, Parterre, Outdoor Swimming Pool
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

www.cerneygardens.com gardens only See website for times
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • North Cerney
History

Detailed History

Sir Thomas Rich became lessee of the manors formerly belonging to the Earls of Stafford and acquired a long lease on two farms in Woodmancote tithing called Green’s and Viner’s, which later formed the basis for the Cerney House estate. Sir Thomas granted the lease of the farms to his son William who predeceased him in 1639. At Sir Thomas’s death in 1647 the estate passed to his grandson, Thomas Rich (d 1705). The family had a good house and estate in 1710 according to Atkyns. In 1719 the owner was Edward Rich, son of the younger Thomas, who died in 1721 with financial difficulties and the estate passed to the Revd Edward Pickering Rich after whose death in 1761 it was bought by Thomas Tyndale.

A small block on the north side of Cerney House that has the remains of two 17th century windows, survives from the Rich family’s house, as do possibly some of the thick internal walls. The main block dates from rebuilding soon after 1761 by Thomas Tyndale. Further alterations were made about 1800 using part of drawing made by James Burton of London, when a third storey was possibly removed. The small landscaped park around the house was probably the work of Thomas Tyndale who secured the closure of a road that passed close to the house in 1780.

The estate passed to the Croome family in 1814 when it was said to have a handsome seat surrounded by a park and pleasure grounds comprising of nearly 100 acres. By 1837 the estate comprised of 475 acres. In 1855 William’s son, William Fielder Croome, inherited the house. In 1886 it passed to William’s nephew, Thomas Lancelot Croome. In 1895 William Iveson Croome inherited from his father.

F C Eden, who also made alterations to the Old Rectory, built a circular lodge at the end of the drive in 1914 for W I Croome. The property has changed hands many times since 1930 and the estate broken up with land and the Lodge sold off. The present owners, who purchased the property in 1983, have converted the stables and garages into a house and they have been restoring and developing the gardens.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
Associated People

People associated to Cerney House

References