Brookdale Hall 5050

Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

Brief Description

The park is roughly rectangular in shape with pathways, ornamental planting and a woodland area. Sporting facilities were provided by Manchester Corporation when it purchased the site in about 1900.

History

Brookdale Hall was built in 1850 for James Taylor and family, who owned the Newton Silk Mill in Newton Heath. The layout of the Hall and grounds is shown on the 1895 Ordnance Survey map. Manchester Corporation purchased the house and park in 1900. It then extended the planting and walkways and added sporting facilities. The hall was demolished in the 1960s, and the sunken gardens that were created in the 1920s have been restored recently (2015/6).

Visitor Facilities

The park is open from dawn till dusk.

Detailed Description

The park is an irregular rectangle and was surrounded by fields and some mills in 1895, as shown on the Ordnance Survey map of that year. The park had some planting at that time but this was enhanced by the Corporation after they purchased the site in 1900. Pathways were laid out along with ornamental planting. Sporting facilities were also added.

Features
Planting, Walk, Bandstand
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The park is open from dawn till dusk.

Directions

The park is to the north of Droylsden Road in the Newton Heath area of Manchester.
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Miles Platting and Newton Heath
History

Detailed History

The park was developed by Mr John Taylor JP in the mid-19th century. It was purchased by Manchester Corporation in 1900 for £26,500 as part of a scheme to 'improve the social status of the district'. The Corporation developed the facilities of the park at a cost of £11,200.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

References