The bombsite on Montefiore Street and Tennyson Street was cleared of prefabs and laid out as Montefiore Gardens in the 1960s. A social services day nursery was built in one quarter with the intention of returning this back to the gardens, if so needed. In fact, when the nursery was finally shut in 1995 the land was sold for development and a row of houses built. Montefiore Gardens is important as an area of public open space in this area.
Montefiore Gardens was laid out at the east side of the Parktown Estate, which was built from 1865 onwards, its overall street layout planned by developer Philip Flower and designer James Thomas Knowles. He was the son of Sir James Knowles who had laid out the Cedars Estate south of Clapham Common. Up until then much of this area had been farmland belonging to Longhedge Farm between Battersea Fields to the north and Clapham Common in the south. Its name derived from the northern boundary hedge along what is now Battersea Park Road.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Queenstown Road/Wandsworth Road. Bus: 137
London Parks and Gardens Trust