In 1973-4 the lower ground was made into a playground with gravestones ranged along the boundaries, and the upper ground into a garden of rest. In 2000 the church created a new community garden, Eden at St Paul's, on part of the former burial ground separated from the main churchyard by Matrimony Place.
St Paul's Church was built here in 1815, but was the site of Clapham parish church from the C12th, originally dedicated to St Mary but later Holy Trinity. There are two churchyards, the upper being the oldest, which served the original parish church. The lower churchyard was added behind St Paul's Church on the side of the hill. The churchyards were closed for burials in 1854. With the agreement of the church, Wandsworth Borough Council laid out the lower part as a garden in 1933-4. It became part of LB Lambeth in 1965 as a result of boundary changes.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 7.30am - dusk (Eden Community Garden: Volunteering Days held on Tuesdays & on 1st Sat of month).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 7.30am - dusk (Eden Community Garden: Volunteering Days held on Tuesdays & on 1st Sat of month).
DirectionsRail: Wandsworth Road. Tube: Clapham Common (Northern). Bus: 77, 87, 88, 322, 417
London Parks and Gardens Trust