The Circus is a communal garden with a grassed central area and a group of mature trees. The Circus was built to the designs of Wood the Elder between 1754 and 1769.
Visitor FacilitiesThis is a public urban space.
Detailed DescriptionThe Circus is at the junction of three roads. It is a circular area of grass overlooked by three equal terraces of grand Georgian houses. The grass is surrounded by a low stone wall and at the centre are five plane trees.
The area is maintained by the council. The trees are old and have had some attention in the recent past. There is some feeling that the planting of trees went against the original overall design of the area.
- Crescent (featured building)
- Terraced House
- Description: The houses form a circle created by three equal crescents.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis is a public urban space.
Detailed HistoryThe houses, a circle formed by three equal crescents, were designed by John Wood the Elder. They were started in 1754 and finished 15 years later.
William Pitt, who became Prime Minister, at one time lived in the Circus.
No. 4 was bequeathed to the Bath Corporation by the widow of artist Charles Cooke in 1961. It was restored and annexed to the City's Museum of Costume. The garden of this house has since been renovated in the Georgian style.
Originally there was a pump in the centre and the Circus was cobbled. Water was pumped to containers in the cellars of the houses. At some stage the pump was removed and grass was planted along with some shrubs, which probably included the young plane trees. The stone coping around the central grass supported railings in the 19th century, but these were removed during the Second World War for use in the armaments factories.
It is thought that the garden was laid out and planted between 1800 and 1808, based on information available in the cuttings file at Bath reference library.
- Associated People
Just one person associated to The Circus, Bath